Re: ERROR: ORA-01034: ORACLE not available

From: Tommy <tcusan_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 11:46:13 -0800

Hi, John, you can try this :

First, Check that there is not a subdirectory under $ORACLE_HOME with the same name as the SID.References

Second, The ORACLE_PATH is being used to get the shared memory key instead of the
ORACLE_HOME. You need to remove the ORACLE_PATH environment variable. To remove the variable:

  1. Shutdown the database SVRMGR> shutdown immediate
  2. Remove the ORACLE_PATH environment variable For C shell: % unsetenv ORACLE_PATH
        For Bourne or Korn shells:
        $ unset ORACLE_PATH

    3.  Start the database.
        SVRMGR> startup

    4.  Connect through SQL*Plus.

Solution Explanation:

The solution allows the Oracle kernel to use ORACLE_HOME for the shared memory
key. This is what SQL*Net also uses for the key.