Re: Help a new DBA

From: Vincent Roquencourt <vroquencout_at_businessobjects.com>
Date: 1998/10/28

Hi Dave,

In 'DBA ' language, dumping a database is just a way to say 'saving the database ' (except you can choose if you save data or objects structure...) You have to use exp73 (for Oracle 7.3 of course!) at the command line. exp73 help=y will give you all the parameters you may choose one of the following workflow : Type exp73 and follow the instructions
Type exp73 with command line parameters
 I suggest you choose the second way ...you can have a log file ... if you want to export all you database :

    exp73 username/password file=export_file.dmp full=y grants=y log=export.log

Note: you can choose other extension than .dmp !!! And for more information takea look at the oracle utilities book