Re: Student asks about SQL*NET

From: Panagiotis (Peter) Vretanos <pvretano_at_techie.com>
Date: 1998/10/28

Alex Snoeren wrote:

> Hello,
> I'am testing an Oracle8 database server with SQL*NET 8.
> I wonder if it is possible to connect to the database server via the
> internet with a SQL*PLUS client? How do I set things up (in the listener for
> ex.).
> Who has got experience with this?
> I want to do this so I can give a demonstration on my university.
>
> Thanks in advance!
> Alex.
> snoeren_at_casema.net

Alex,

This works fine as long as the connection is reliable. I have done it a number of times. As for setting up the tnsnames.ora and listener.ora, there is nothing special here. Simply reference the remote host using its name or I.P. address.

For example, here is the tnsnames.ora for a remote host called alpha.SOMEDOMAIN.com (which is in a different domain from mine):

alpha=(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(host=alpha.SOMEDOMAIN.com)(port=1521))

      (CONNECT_DATA=(SID=ORA732))) This is an actual entry with the exception of the name which I have changed to respect my client's privacy. Doing a 'sqlplus scott/tiger_at_alpha' connects me without any problem.

Hope this helps.

Ciao.

--
Peter A. Vretanos         | We can forgive a child who is afraid
Senior Software Developer | of the dark; the real tragedy of life