Re: Creating Temporary Tables in Oracle.

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 07:49:35 +0200

sumanm_at_my-dejanews.com wrote in message <71890j$osm$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
>How do I create Temporary Tables in Oracle ?

Temporary tables are like GOTOs. We use them when our design and logic skills fail us. :-)

>I know that SQL Server supports it.

Which of course says a -lot- about SQL-Server...

>Basically I need to create a temporary table which is a subset
>of another table, then I need to update some information
>in that temporary table, use it and drop it.

Just a couple of days ago I answered a similar question in this newsgroup. No, Oracle does not support temp tables like SQL-Server. And we can get into a big debate as to the how and why of temp tables.

>While I am using this temporary table, I do not want another user
>who has logged in using the same login id/pwd (as mine)
> to see it or to update it.
>
>What are the different possible ways of achieving it ?

Use a sequence to generate a unique number and then create a table with the sequence number as suffix. e.g temptable_102

As for not wanting other users to see or update the table - well, that brings up a whole bunch of other issues. Like security, control, access, restrictions etc. If you have a situation where end-users have direct access to an Oracle database via SQL*Plus or whatever other tool they choose with full resource privs.. Well, I can not comment about that as I will be using a lot of 4 letters words. :-)

regards,
Billy Received on Wed Oct 28 1998 - 23:49:35 CST