Re: Are Hot Backups Incremental?

From: John P. Higgins <jh33378_at_deere.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 20:58:31 -0600

First, you would never need to restore the cold backup if you have one
or more subsequent hot backups. Just restore the latest hot backup and
then recover using the archived log files.

If your system fails before the hot backup is complete, then the cold backup would be restored. Again, you would then recover using the archived log files.

Second, a prudent policy is to keep several generations of backups and all the necessary archived log files (defense in depth).

Oracle 8 RMAN supports incremental backups. Each daily incremental would contain all the changes since the full backup (hot or cold). In this case, you would need to restore the full backup, restore the incremental backup and finally recover using the archived log files.

Margaret Peacock wrote:

If I do a cold backup once a week, and a hot backup every night, can I write over the tarred hot backup file every night and still restore the database completely by restoring the cold, then the last tar file from the hot backup? OR .... Do I need to create a different tarred hot backup file for every day that follows the last cold backup in order to have a full restore? All advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-Margaret
Margaret Peacock        ESN: 655-8559
Intranet Web Master     EXTERNAL: (408) 565-8559
Nortel - Mission Park   peacockm@nt.com