Description of OS process architecture of Oracle on Novell Netware

From: <Nilesh_at_cheerful.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 04:01:33 GMT

Under Unix, all oracle background processes such as SMON, PMON, etc are separate OS level processes. The Server (dedicated or multi) are also OS level processes. They all share a common memory that we call the SGA. With a "ps" command we can see all of them.

Under NT, there is only one process, and that is the ORACLE process. It can be seen using the task manager. Except for the TNS listner, there is no other process. Background processes are not at OS level but are threads. The Smon, Pmon,other server process,etc are all threads. The SGA is part of the process. It adds up to one huge process, which is why maybe NT cannot have a very huge SGA. (not sure, but limited to 2gb on NT/intel and 8GB with VLM on NT/alpha).

Guy Harrisons articles for DBAs on Oracle8/NT at www.oreview.com sums it up very succinctly. But how the heck is it on Novell? Can't figure out where to look for documentation or pointers on the web for this.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Nilesh Porwal

/*----------- Standard Disclaimer : My views totally. ------------*/