Re: how to do case insensitive text literal comparison?

From: yong <yong_at_shell.com>
Date: 1998/10/26

prochak_at_my-dejanews.com wrote:

> Here's a final thought, what if ORACLE added a case insensitive search
> index option? This gets done often enough that it might be worth the
> effort to put it in the database. opinions anyone???
>
> --
> Ed Prochak

Wow, this is exactly what I want. I just posted a simple question and then saw this thread. I really wish Oracle had a case insensitive index. In fact, in my work, my WHERE clause is like this

where lower(replace(replace(name),'-'),' ')='decostataylor' and ...

(The string 'decostataylor' has already gone through a Perl substitution to simplify search&match.)

So I wish Oracle had a function/operator-insensitive index, not just case-insensitive index. But I don't know anything about Oracle internals. I wonder if my dream is theoretically possible or not.

Yong Huang
Email:yong_at_shell.com Received on Mon Oct 26 1998 - 00:00:00 CST