Re: Database link performance

From: John P. Higgins <jh33378_at_deere.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 20:33:23 -0600

Don't worry about the faster database. The slowest database around is like
the spped of light compared to the network traffic. Plan the join to minimize
the network traffic.

By the way, don't just use the join criteria -- filter, filter, filter to limit network trafic. I have seen this turn 20 minute joins into sub-second.

Ross Mohan wrote:

Mostly you want to avoid doing JOINs over the link.  You can force a join to
occur
on one db or the other by creating appropriate views there. That way, JOIN
rows are
not shuttled across the network, just the result set.

Optimally, you do the join on the faster database.

<712rp1$37t$1@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...