Re: Will more memory help performance?

From: <satar_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 00:36:47 GMT

The obvious answer is yes, but how much of a help will it be? Questions like this, require a DBA. Due to the lack of time I have, I will give you a short answer: You can estimate how much of a performance gain (Buffer Cache hit Ratio) you will get by adding additional buffers in your database by using the db_block_lru_extended_statistics utility. This utility will tell you what your Buffer Cache Hit ratio will be if you increase the db_block_buffer parameter by by n (where n is some number).

Look into this utility, and if you still have questions, e-mail me and I will try to help you out.

Good Luck,
Satar

--
Oracle DBA/UNIX System Admin