Database link performance

From: <73353.603_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 22:06:24 GMT

Hello -

  I have a need to access data in a table that resides in a one database while at the same time accessing data in my primary database. I have it set up right now as a view across a db link, which functions okay, but does not perform well enough. I was able to improve performance by using IPC and accessing a local instance, but it's still too slow.

  I have been told that the slowdown is inherent with using a db link, in that the session will need to resolve the name of the linked database, and then time is also lost as the login is done to the linked database.

  I'm hoping that someone knows of some way to improve performance. We're running Oracle 7.1.5 on OpenVMS 6.2. If there's an improvement that would come with Oracle8 that would be good to know as well, but we're still a ways off from being ready to upgrade.

Thanks,

Dave
73353.603_at_compuserve.com