Re: Why connection to the database takes > than 10 minutes

From: Chuck Hamilton <chuckh_at_safeaccess.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 20:55:49 GMT

Check your tnsnames.ora and sqlnet.ora files on the clients. It may be trying the wrong protocol, or wrong method of name resolution first.

There should be a line in sqlnet.ora that looks like this...

        NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (...) If you're using tnsnames files to resolve database names, make sure that tnsnames is the first entry.

In your tnsnames.ora file, make sure the correct tcp/ip address and port number are the first ones listed. Sqlnet easy config usually adds two address, ports 1521 and 1526. If 1521 is first, and the listener is listening on 1526, it could take several minutes for sqlnet to time out on the first port before it checks the right one.

If neither of these is the problem, are you using MTS? If so make sure you're dispatchers and shared servers aren't too busy to handle any request made by the new connection.

If you aren't using MTS, look at the opsys paging and swapping. Maybe you're running out of memory.

Just some things to look at. HTH

        Chuck

On Mon, 26 Oct 1998 19:55:17 GMT, drona_at_my-dejanews.com wrote:

>The following is a brief explanation of the database connection problem I am
>experiencing.
>The databases are functioning normally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Yes there is no error
>message written to the log file.
>
>When the problem occurred few days back we assumed it is of resource problem.
>Every GUI connection was taking 30% of the CPU and we have 2 CPU on server.
>Then I opened a tar with Oracle Support thinking it may be of corrupted
>system table problem. Oracle Support thinks it is resource problem . Any how
>I havn't closed the tar with Oracle yet.
>
> If a user gets the connection to the database he/she will not have any
>problem executing any statements on database. Looks like even when we have
>20% of CPU is free the connection to the database takes approximately 10
>minutes. Whe load on Servr is absolutely low then I have no problem
>connecting to the databases.Can it be any of the UNIX resource( any parameter
>settings not being set properly) being not available at that instant to the
>user trying to get connected? By the way I am running on HP-UX 10.20 with
>7.3.4.2.0 oracle database. We have two instances one being run in Archive
>mode.
>
>Any clues and suggestions are welcome.
>Drona

Chuck Hamilton
chuckh_at_safeaccess.net

If at first you don't succeed, sky diving isn't for you. Received on Mon Oct 26 1998 - 14:55:49 CST