Re: ORA-03113 - end-of-file on communication channel

From: <rwessman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 26 Oct 1998 14:48:39 -0500

Darrell & Janine Brown <nexgenco_at_mts.net> writes:

> Have you tried only granting SELECT on the view. Oracle may have some
> funny access rules that you are violating with the GRANT ALL syntax.
>

> The error mesage 03113 is generated when the listener and the client no
> longer recognise one another. We are trying to track down a problem that
> manifests itself in with this error. It can be particularly hard to
> isolate the component of your system that is causing this particular
> error. It can be client, network or server related.
That's not precisely true. An ORA-3113 is generated when the connection between the client and the server terminates abnormally. By the time the client and server are communicating, the listener is out of the picture. The listener just sets up the connection between the client and server.

That said, if the fault is not caused by a server bug (check the RDBMS log directory for trace files), a 3113 can be hard to track down.

                                        Rick
                                        Rick Wessman
                                        Security and Directory Technologies
                                        Server Technologies