Re: Record locking in Oracle

From: Mark Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 26 Oct 1998 19:08:01 GMT

I do not think that the init.ora parameter distributed_lock_timeout applies to your situation, because we use it to time-out distributed connections which basically are SQL statements issued on one instance of Oracle that access tables stored on another instance of Oracle via a database link.

If I issue an update against a row that another session of Oracle has updated but not committed my session will wait as long as necessary for the other session to commit. There is a parameter that can be added to some SQL statements, nowait, that will return upon encountering a locked row. I am not an expert in its use, but you should be able to research it or to post with a subject like 'How to use nowait?'.

I hope this helps some.

Mahantesh Nashi <mahan_at_mobinfo.com> wrote in article <3630B9BD.4AE5FA23_at_mobinfo.com>...