Re: Choosing backup strategy on NT

From: Carsten Kristensen <MrCox_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 14:16:08 +0100

Sorry, Miguel, I forgot to mention that Oracle Failsafe is already a part of the setup.

To all of you - thanks for your answers, so far. New questions to come :)

The meeting with Oracle cleared up a lot of questions - it seems like the hot backup on Oracle8 is far easier to administer and more reliable than it was in O7. I think we will go for that.

We will not combine the two needs (backup and transfer of data to the 2nd server) - but solve the transfer needs through read-only snapshots.

Does anyone out there have practical experiences with using read-only snapshots on Oracle8 for NT?

Carsten

miguel wrote in message <01bdfe8e$f3b0bfe0$0a0a2c0a_at_jmiguel.intra.cet.pt>...
>Carsten,
>In my opinion:
>"db should be available continuously" --> Look at Oracle Fail Safe
>
>Carsten Kristensen <MrCox_at_hotmail.com> wrote in article
><70f2rv$kbb$1_at_readme.online.no>...
>> We are setting up an Oracle db on Win NT 4.0, size 6-8 Gb, 60 users,
>using
>> Oracle Workgroup Server 7.3 (optionally Oracle 8.0). It will actually be
>two
>> databases, the first is going to serve a 24-hour production process, and
 [snip] Received on Mon Oct 26 1998 - 07:16:08 CST