Temp/sort formula

From: Douglas Dunyan <dm^noise_for_spammers^dunyan_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 09:24:56 GMT

Hey all -
  I thought I recalled seeing a formula in one of my books about estimating the sort size reguired for an index build.   We are going through a migration, and one table has 14 million + rows, and 8 indexes. The longest started off taking 3 hours. I amanged to get this down to 30 minutes, but there are still seven more to go. My hope is to use 8 different 'temp' tablespaces and build all 8 simultaneously, figuring I am doing a full tablescan anyway, I am hoping the other seven will still have the necessary data in the db_buffer cache.   BTW, we are running with about a 128Meg SGA, of which 78 meg is db_buffer cache.

Thanks

Doug Received on Mon Oct 26 1998 - 03:24:56 CST