Re: Import performance.

From: Douglas Dunyan <dm^noise_for_spammers^dunyan_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 08:57:31 GMT

On large imports, I found that turning off archive mode will save the most time.

Here's the trick, if you have the luxury.

We run everything redundant, including disks. Before attempting the import, put in a third shadow set, and turn off archiving. When done with the import, do a normal shutdown, and break the 3rd shadow set (you can use that for cold backup!) and then turn archive mode back on....

With large imports, most of the performance hit is i/o due to archive mode.

Doug