Re: Will more memory help performance?

From: OraSaurus <granaman_at_not_home.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 06:50:26 GMT

In article <363401A2.422083DD_at_mts.net>, Darrell & Janine Brown <nexgenco_at_mts.net> wrote:
>I work in a Data Warehouse.

Fork lift operator? (Just kidding..)

>We currently have a quad-pentium 200 w/ 1 GB RAM running WinNT 4. We are
>
>using Oracle 7.3 with parallel server/parallel query options. The
>database takes up 60GB of a 90GB Raid array.
>
>We have the opportunity to obtain a second GB of RAM (redeployed from
>another server)
>Will the addition of the extra memory produce a noticible difference?
>Where can I find information on the degree of difference?
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Darrell Brown
>Programmer-Analyst
>MTS Communications Inc.

Investigate the init file parameter DB_BLOCK_LRU_EXTENDED_STATISTICS and the X$KCBRBH table. It can be found under "Tuning the buffer cache" or "Tuning memory allocation" in the Server Adminstrator's Reference (I think - I'm doing this from memory). Relevant sections probably exist in the Tuning Guide also. This will tell you what effect increasing DB_BLOCK_BUFFERS will have. There are other memory issues though, so even if this doesn't yield much, you should check out system paging and swapping. (I'm from a Unix world, so can't help you with NT memory tuning issues.)

-OraSaurus Received on Mon Oct 26 1998 - 00:50:26 CST