Re: New Server

From: Brian Yan <by2_at_gpu.srv.ualberta.ca>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1998 18:57:31 -0700

edjohnjr wrote:

> You have helped me a great deal with your suggestions thus far and I want to
> say Thanks.
>
> New situation for me. I have been given a dual processor, 256 meg, and 36
> gig server to install Oracle 7.3.4 NT 4.0. First, I want move the existing
> database from my development server to this new server as is. I know I must
> install Oracle database server but do I make use of export/import
> procedures? Second, what would be my default size buffer for this given
> server? I am a NEWBIE. Third, could you suggest which path I should be
> following so this install and transfer procedure goes as smooth as possible.
>

> Thanks,
>
> edjohnjr_at_cwix.com

I recently installed Oracle7.3.4 on HPUX and migrate one production schema from 732 to it.
I used export/import. It works well for me. But when you create the tablespace, make
sure the storage parameters of temp tablespace is set to appropriate, in case in the big
index importing, it will reach max extent number.

The other thing you may want to watch out is the db_block_size. The default is 2k, but
it may not be suitable for your db. If so, don't use default db creation during installation,
it would use 2k. I used 8K. Received on Sun Oct 25 1998 - 19:57:31 CST