Re: RAID and Oracle Databases

From: mikel <me_at_here.com>
Date: 1998/10/23

Thanks for the advice.

FYI, because I'm not sure if I can squeeze another drive into the picture this year I thought that I would try to get another drive next year (depending on the budget gods of course) and then have the six HD on RAID 1 in 1999. I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing it will easier to go from 5 HDs in RAID 1 to 6 HDs in RAID 1 than to change 5 HDs in RAID 1 and in RAID 5 to 6 HDs in RAID 1. Should be just a matter of adding the drive and telling the controller it's there.

BTW, as a new comer to the Oracle world, I'd like the thank all the people that contribute to postings by us 'newbies'. This really is a great learning tool (and it's free).

Thanks again

Mikel

9 usable GB on RAID 1 -> redo log files and index tablespaces (data files) 18 usable GB on RAID 5 ->data files

satar_at_my-dejanews.com wrote in message <70nr0h$9c9$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
>Hi,
>I This post is not to answer your question, but to point out something to
 you.
>You have 5 Hard drives, if you are running RAID1, then there is no reason
>have a Hot spare. The Hot Spare will do you no good. If one of your
 mirrored
>disks crash, then the data is still available on the other mirrored disk.
>
>If your RAID Box is a 5 drive box,Your best bet is the following:
>Disk 1,2,3 to be set as RAID5
>Disk 4 & 5 to be set as RAID1
>
>This will give you a total of 27GB of data.
>
>If you can add more drives to your RAID Box, then add one more drive. This
 way
>you can Run RAID1 on all drives.
>
>Good Luck,
>Satar
>
>In article <0ixX1.85$KM4.62743_at_198.235.216.4>,
> "mikel" <me_at_here.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Quick question on RAID controllers and the controller's cache. We just
>> purchased a new Dell PE 2300 NT server with a 1X6 hot plugable backplane,
>> 5 - 9GB U2 LVD 10K rpm SCSI HDs and Dell's Pert S/C 3 Raid Controller
 with
>> 16 MB cache and no battery backup. We use Oracle NT 7.2 (soon 7.3)
 mostly
>> for our GIS system (40 users), however we are expanding to other apps
 such
>> as Internet/Intranet data retrieval. Most of the work done by the
 database
>> are reads and analysis on data (although I have not collected any real
 stats
>> on this yet).
>>
>> I originally planned to run the server on a RAID 5 config, however since
>> looking into the RAID and Oracle issue a little more, I have decided to
 go
>> with a RAID 1 config with the fifth HD as a hot swap. (I know 45 GB of
 HD