Re: Oracle for Linux Problems

From: Michael Nolan <nolan_at_inetnebr.com>
Date: 23 Oct 1998 16:37:02 -0500

>Franco wrote in message <70pdqd$9ju_at_netnews.hinet.net>...
>> I installed Oracle 8.0.5 for Linux on my SlackWare 3.5 (kernel 2.0.34)
>>but something troubles ... as the following :
>> 2. I have created 'dba' group and 'oracle' user and have set
>> ORACLE_SID, ORACLE_HOME, ORACLE_TERM, PATH parameters for installing
>> but when I start the 'orainst' then the error message shows :
>> './orainst: ./orainst.cm : No such file or directory'

The problem is that Slackware apparently still uses the old libc5 stuff, whereas Oracle for Linux is expecting the new glibc2/libc6 stuff. (I've seen some suggestions that SlackWare 3.5 might use the new libraries, but as far as I can tell from the www.cdrom.com site it does not.)

There are probably people who can upgrade SlackWare to the new libraries, but I'm not one of them, I _almost_ got Oracle functioning but managed to trash my system so thoroughly that I spent five hours last night backing it up, installing a virgin SlackWare O/S, and restoring the other functionality for that system. I'll try Oracle for Linux on a different system next week, one built using RedHat 5.1, which does use the new libraries. --
Mike Nolan Received on Fri Oct 23 1998 - 16:37:02 CDT