Re: EXP ....FILE=(pipe to compress)

From: Tommy <tcusan_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 16:37:41 -0700

Calculating the size of an export file.

  % mknod /tmp/exp_pipe p
  % exp file=/tmp/exp_pipe <other options> &
  % dd if=/tmp/exp_pipe of=/dev/null bs=1024

  This will return the number of of 1K blocks the export file will be in   the following format :

        <no. of 1K blocks>+0 records in
        <no. of 1K blocks>+0 records out

Exporting directly to tape - an example

  A full database export to a QIC 150 (150 Megabytes capacity)   VOLSIZE should be < tape capacity

  % exp userid=system/manager full=y file=/dev/rmt/0m volsize=145M

  After EXP has written <VOLSIZE> to the tape, it will prompt for next:

        Please mount the next volume and hit <ret> when you are done.

Exporting to tape via unix named pipes

  Note: 'dd' for tape devices may need 'bs=8k' or similar depending on tape
  % mknod /tmp/exp_pipe p                               # Make the pipe
  % dd if=/tmp/exp_pipe of=<tape device> &    # Write from pipe to tape
  % exp file=/tmp/exp_pipe <other options>       # Export to the pipe