Re: Unable to Create INITIAL extent for segment in TABLESPACE

From: Tommy <tcusan_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 13:34:12 -0700

You may receive ORA-1658 in the following cases:

You may also encounter this error in another scenario.

If you receive this error in 7.1, there will be no message text. Instead you may get the following:

ORA-01658 : NOT found ; PRODUCT RDBMS FACILITY=ORA ; ARGUMENT,[temp]

In 7.2, you will see the text:

01658, 00000, "unable to create INITIAL extent for segment in tablespace %s"

// *Cause:  Failed to allocate an extent for cluster segment in tablespace.
// *Action: Use ALTER TABLESPACE ADD DATAFILE statement to add one or more
//         files to the tablespace indicated.

Problem Explanation

Oracle is trying to allocate an extent and cannot find a contiguous chunk of free space. This is the same as receiving an ORA-1547 or ORA-165X error.

ORA-01547, 00000, "failed to allocate extent of size %s in tablespace '%s'"

// *Cause: Tablespace indicated is out of space
// *Action: Use ALTER TABLESPACE ADD DATAFILE statement to add one or more
//         files to the tablespace indicated or create the object in other
//         tablespace if this happens during a CREATE statement

This error does not necessarily indicate whether or not you have enough space in the tablespace, it merely indicates that Oracle could not find a large enough chunk of free space to fit the next extent in.

There are two ways to approach this problem:

I suggest you also check the alert log because maybe you received ORA-1652 unable to extend temp segment by ........