Re: Best database for web backend on Linux?

From: Thor <thor_at_echidna.net>
Date: 1998/10/22

we're still talking at cross purposes here. if we're using "browse-mode" as the starting point ....

The Optimistic Locking is:

t1. Read
t2. Re-Read with Lock
t3. Update
t4. Commit / Rollback

You lock once you know the user wants to modify that record, not just when they are viewing it.

In Sybase you would:

t1. Read
t2. Update
t3. Re-Read with Lock
t4. Commit/Rollback

Which has a very different look and feel to the user, and in most Oracle tools those steps are done for you. In Sybase you code it yourself.

Thor HW