Re: Queries from 8.0 to 7.3.4

From: Stephanie <steph2000_at_home.com>
Date: 22 Oct 1998 23:44:46 GMT

Marek,
I'm in the same boat and have posted a similiar question to the newsgroup. I have data in Oracle 8 that I need to get into an Oracle 7.3.2 database. We were also going to use database links, but someone has suggested to me that I try the following. Which I am going to try tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes (if you're interested).

Stephanie

The problem of exporting from Oracle8 and importing to Oracle7 seems to be the same as exporting from Oracle7 and importing to Oracle6. You need Oracle7 export utility connecting to Oracle8 database. Before you can do this you must run ?/rdbms/admin/catexp7.sql script. A comment in catexp7.sql says:
Rem DESCRIPTION
Rem Create v7 style export/import views against the v8 RDBMS Rem so that EXP/IMP v7 can be used to read out data in a v8 RDBMS

These views will not see any new Oracle8 objects, so the export file created can be imported without problems. Of course, Oracle8 import can import Oracle7 files without extra preparation. In fact, according to doc it is able to read any files from version >=5.1.22 (the same was true for Oracle7 import). If an Oracle8 export file is attempted to be imported into an Oracle7 then import will give an imp-10. The export file header has changed between versions as there is some extra info that must be stored (e.g. NCHAR character set). It is also clear that Oracle8 understands Oracle7 headers but not the other way round.

mksiazek <mksiazek_at_elka.pw.edu.pl> wrote in article <362F9CDB.486E603E_at_elka.pw.edu.pl>...