Re: Unable to Create INITIAL extent for segment in TABLESPACE

From: Terry Dykstra [TeamPS] <no_spam_tdykstra_at_cfol.ab.ca>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 17:21:01 -0600

Your tablespace is fragmented. Even though you may have lots of free space, if it is all broken down into small chunks it doesn't do you much good. Your queries are trying to create temporary segments (for sorting) that are larger than the largest free extent available. Alter the tablespace to increase it's size. Depending on which version of oracle, you can increase the current datafile or else you have to add another datafile. Another good thing you might want to do is to export all objects in the tablespace, drop/rebuild it and then reimport. That will cleanup as well.

--
Terry Dykstra [TeamPS]
Canadian Forest Oil Ltd.

Margaret Peacock wrote in message <70o4r0$lmv$1_at_nrchh52.us.nortel.com>...

>I just did a large amount of updates on my database. I am now getting the
error

>Unable to create INITIAL extent for segment in tablespace SMPTBS
>
>What does this mean? I tried to do an alter database to increase the size
of the extents for the tablespace, but that doesn't work (and isn't the initial extent set once and used once?) Now certain quieries are erroring. Please send advice as soon as possible. Thanks in advance.