Re: conisitent gets

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 21:06:58 GMT

A copy of this was sent to xsun1913_at_my-dejanews.com (if that email address didn't require changing) On Thu, 22 Oct 1998 19:48:52 GMT, you wrote:

>In article <70ln92$md1$1_at_news.worldonline.nl>,
> "John Vernes" <vernes.j_at_consunet.nl> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just want to know what consistent gets really are!!
>>
>> I believe they are gets in rollback segments.
>> Does a get mean a block get or the rowdata, etc????!!?
>>
>> Can anyone help.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> John
>>

>The consistent gets are the number of REQUESTS for data in the rollback
>segment. Different number of data blocks or rows can be obtained by a
>request.

No, not really.

consistent gets are blocks that are retrieved in 'consistent' as opposed to 'current' mode. A consistent get *may have to* read rollback (whereas a current mode get will not, it'll wait for the block), but it does not have any impact on the number of requests actually made to rollback. The only correlation between consistent gets and number of rollback seg fetches is that the number of blocks reconstructed from rollback will be less then or equal to the number of consistent gets...

>Xuening Sun

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government
Herndon VA

Anti-Anti Spam Msg: if you want an answer emailed to you, you have to make it easy to get email to you. Any bounced email will be treated the same way i treat SPAM-- I delete it. Received on Thu Oct 22 1998 - 16:06:58 CDT