Re: Count(*) is very slow

From: <satar_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 21:01:17 GMT

I am glad that David Smith figuired it out. I never heard of this parameter. So I looked at Oracle Support's webpage and came up with this info: Fast full scan is an alternative to a full table scan when the index contains all the columns that are needed for the query. It cannot be used to eliminate a sort operation. It reads the entire index using multiblock reads. Fast full scan is available only with cost-based optimization; you specify it with the INDEX_FFS hint.

Thank you Andreas for posting the Solution. Take care and good luck...
Satar Naghshineh
In article <70mv73$p34$1_at_news.ipf.net>,   "Andreas Kyritz" <AKyritz_at_easy-soft-dresden.de> wrote:
> Hallo everybody,
>
> I've got a mail with the right idea from Dave Smith from Australia.
>
> The trick to do 'SELECT COUNT(*) FROM ATABLE' fast is, to include:
> fast_full_scan_enabled=true
> to the init file.
>
> That's all and now it takes less than a second. 8-))
>
> Thanks to all posted their suggestions and hints
>
> --
> Andreas Kyritz
> AKyritz_at_easy-soft-dresden.de

--