Re: Best database for web backend on Linux?

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne_at_news.hex.net>
Date: 1998/10/21

On Mon, 19 Oct 1998 21:40:02 +0000, Evan Carew <ecarew_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
>row-level-locking. This feature was resisted for years in Sybase for
>good reason, it sucks. Row-level-locking has been known to cut the
>performance of an otherwise zipy Oracle server down to glacial speeds.
>Generaly speaking, row-level-locking is regarded to be a design flaw
>anyway, so you probably don't want to rate that feature too highly.

And, on the other hand, trying to have large numbers of processes update DBs in the *absence* of row-level-locking can also 'suck badly.'

There doesn't seem to be any "free lunch" here:

Interestingly, Sybase is just about the only vendor that has resisted locking rows...

--
"I once went to a shrink.  He told me to speak freely.  I did.  The damn
fool tried to charge me $90 an hour." -- jimjr_at_qis.net (Jim Moore Jr)