Re: Best database for web backend on Linux?

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne_at_news.hex.net>
Date: 1998/10/21

On Tue, 20 Oct 1998 19:03:10 +0000, Evan Carew <ecarew_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
>So what does this accomplish? Well, it limits the access to the hot table
>(the one that everybody is polling for status) to queries only, except for
>the database engine, thus limiting the number and duration of table locks
>on the "persistent networked semaphore". Because we have done a little
>extra work to limit locking in this way, the background tasks that require
>speedy access to the state information can proceed at a much faster rate
>because there is now much more bandwidth on that table.

In effect, this represents a situation where applications are written to be cognizant of a sort of "TP monitor" (ala Tuxedo).

Oracle tries to fold the TPM functionality into the DB server, which has the "benefit" that programs will work when written in a "naive" fashion, albeit with a performance "hit." (The same being true, in essence, for Informix, and probably for many other DBs.)

In contrast, Sybase keeps the need for awareness of this "in your face."

Downside: Everyone that updates tables needs to have some competence in this area.

Upside: It scares off those that aren't competent to evaluate such...

In effect, Sybase may be the LISP of the DB world; if used properly, they may provide superior functionality. But knowing how to "use it properly" requires a bit of a learning curve...

Mind you, I hear that most of the TPC benchmarks get run with Tuxedo as an "aid" for any of the DB systems, which means that the database updates are being handled via a somewhat different mechanism than any of this...

--
"There isn't any reason why Linux can't be implemented as an enterprise
computing solution.  Find out what you've been missing while you've been