Re: Best database for web backend on Linux?

From: Jed S. Baer <jbaer.nospam_at_diac.com>
Date: 1998/10/21

In article <362DE1DF.CEFF3539_at_yahoo.com>, ecarew_at_yahoo.com says...
> I'm not saying that row level locking is a bad idea for all projects,
> especially if you want to
> put together some kind of brain dead demo,

Indeed! As an Oracle DBA/Developer, I can tell you that none of my projects fit this category, neither did they suffer from performance problems.

> All it
> takes is one well
> trained DBA/App Developer to come by and make it go 20x faster to really
> embaras someone.

Now, you've got it. The question of database design and development can't be answered by focusing on only lock strategies. Yes, they're important, but only part of the picture. And database tuning is a multi-faceted discipline.

> Christopher Browne wrote:
>
> > >Generaly speaking, row-level-locking is regarded to be a design flaw
> > >anyway, so you probably don't want to rate that feature too highly.

I'm curious, by whom? Certainly not Oracle corp.