Re: Best database for web backend on Linux?

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_ictgroup.com>
Date: 1998/10/21

Hi Evan,

    As they say YMMV. In my case switching from page level locking to row level locking on a client/server application using Informix resulted in substantial performance improvements. The application has several users going after the next available record to verify and correct it.

regards

Jerry

    Evan Carew wrote in message <362DE1DF.CEFF3539_at_yahoo.com>...     Chris,
    Read my earlier posting on this topic for an example of how to get arround this problem

    ans save your self a boatload of performance.

    I've noticed there seems to be resistence to the notion that row level locking is not as usefull

    the marketing people would have us think. To put it in perspective, The last three organizations

    I have been contracted to where I was called in to fix performance problems associated with

    row level locking issues, at least the manager and usually one or two of the top developers were

    "transferred" off the project when it was shown how much faster their product could have been

    running had they never pushed for row level locking.

    I'm not saying that row level locking is a bad idea for all projects, especially if you want to

    put together some kind of brain dead demo, or need to get something to work TODAY and

    have every intention of cleaning it up later. Just remember that if one of these projects ends

    up mission critical you better sell it as an interum product to CYA. All it takes is one well

    trained DBA/App Developer to come by and make it go 20x faster to really embaras someone.

    (snip)