OpenLink Introduces New Virtual Database Engine with Support For Informix

From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen_at_openlinksw.com>
Date: 1998/10/21

||| OpenLink Unleashes Virtual Database Technology for Internet & Intranet Solutions |||

Burlington, MA - October 21st, 1998, - OpenLink Software, Inc., a leading provider of Universal Data Access Middleware technology announces the long anticipated release of "OpenLink Virtuoso™". This new Virtual Database Engine will enable disparate backend databases to be viewed, updated, and manipulated from a single source known as the "Virtual Database". Virtuoso supports a variety of standards based data access mechanisms such as ODBC, JDBC™, and OLE DB as the interfaces through which its sophisticated services are exposed.

Virtuoso addresses the increasing needs of database driven Internet and Intranet solutions requiring transparent access to information derived from diverse internal and external databases.

Virtuoso supports Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, Informix, Sybase SQL Server, Ingres, Progress, DB/2, and other ODBC compliant database engines.

Virtuoso is also 100% standards based supporting ODBC, JDBC, OLE DB. It is also operating system independent with support for Windows 95/98/NT, Linux, UNIX (all flavors), with planned support for MacOS, VMS, OS400, and OS390.

"Information Systems challenges have moved beyond monolithic database or data access middleware related issues. The Internet has changed the landscape totally, it has made rapid Information access, processing, and exploitation the single most important issue," said Kingsley Idehen, President and CEO of OpenLink Software. "OpenLink Virtuoso™ demonstrates the leadership position we have taken in relation to the information access challenges before us", he added.

OpenLink Virtuoso™ is a major new addition to OpenLink Software’s rich portfolio of industry leading Data Access Middleware products; it is scheduled for commercial release on November 18th 1998, the public beta release is available for download from OpenLink's web site (http://www.openlinksw.com).

Additional Information Sources:

OpenLink Virtuoso Technical White Paper: http://www.openlinksw.com/virtuoso/virtuowp/index.htm

OpenLink Software, Inc. is an industry-leading developer and deployer of High-Performance, Secure, Universal Database Connectivity Technology, independent of operating system, network protocol, and underlying database engine. Its technologies adhere to key industry data access standards such as Java Database Connectivity (JDBC), Open Database Connectivity (ODBC), and X/Open SQL CLI™. Additional information on OpenLink Software can be found on the World Wide Web at http://www.openlinksw.com.

OpenLink Software, OpenLink Virtuoso, Universal Database Connectivity and UDBC are trademarks of OpenLink Software, Inc. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners Received on Wed Oct 21 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT