Re: Best database for web backend on Linux?

From: Jurij Modic <jmodic_at_src.si>
Date: 1998/10/21

On Wed, 21 Oct 1998 13:03:49 +0000, Evan Carew <ecarew_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

>Simply put, The main reason I have selected Sybase over Oracle in the
>recent past has to do with cache management. In every case, if
>you try to use Oracle stored procedures in the same environment with
>large queries, you will end up blowing the oracle stored procedures
>out of cache, thus forcing them to be reloaded from memory. This one
>requirement is frequently enough to take Oracle out of the running.

Evan,

If I'm not totaly misunderstanding what you are trying to say with the above statements then you are simply wrong with understanding of how oracle manages its memory structures.

There are three main portions of oracle's System Global Area: log buffers, db block buffers and shared pool. These areas are totaly independable from each other. The blocks holding the resultsets of the queries are buffered in the db block buffers cache, while the stored procedures are loaded into the shared pool. There is no way the procedure can be forced out of the shared pool by the database blocks from any query. Stored procedures can only be pushed out of the shared pool by other stored procedures, functions, packages or SQL cursors, but oracle manages this on the basis of "last recently used" algorithm. And you can even explicitely force any stored procedure to be held in the shared pool forever (that is until database is up).

Regards,
Jurij Modic <jmodic_at_src.si>
Certified Oracle7 DBA (OCP)

The above opinions are mine and do not represent any official standpoints of my employer Received on Wed Oct 21 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT