Re: Defrag Tablespaces ? How ?

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 18:16:54 GMT

Paul de Anguera <nospan_at_ci.seattle.wa.us> wrote in article <362E1CED.6267_at_ci.seattle.wa.us>...
> We use DFRAG from Noetix (ARIS). It gets around the 24x7 problem
by
> offering an online dfrag option. This works by creating a
temporary
> table in the same tablespace as the original one, renaming the
original
> to hide it, then renaming the copy as the original. It then
defragments
> the original in the usual way, renames everything back and drops
the
> copy. Users get continuous access, disregarding the fraction of a
> second between renames.

What happens to the rows that are inserted into the copy whilst the hidden original is being rebuilt ? What happens to the rows that are inserted after the start of making the copy but before the copy is complete ?

Jonathan Lewis Received on Wed Oct 21 1998 - 13:16:54 CDT