Re: Does Begin Backup State restrict DML?

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 13:37:09 GMT

A copy of this was sent to peacockm_at_nt.com (Margaret Peacock) (if that email address didn't require changing) On 20 Oct 1998 23:39:17 GMT, you wrote:

>I am trying to execute a Hot Backup with absolute consistency throughout the process. I am aware of the CONSISTENT parameter that can be used during an Export, but would like to tar up the dbf files using Begin Backup for quicker recovery. Does Begin Backup put restrictions on DML, or does it simply tar up under the assumption that the various tablespaces will remain consistent during the processes?
>
>Thanks in advance for all assistance.
>
>-Margaret Peacock
>Margaret Peacock ESN: 655-8559
>Intranet Web Master EXTERNAL: (408) 565-8559
>Nortel - Mission Park peacockm_at_nt.com

We just had a long discussion about this topic in this group.

See this thread:

http://www.dejanews.com/dnquery.xp?search=thread&recnum=%3c361a9146.30806697@192.86.155.100%3e%231/2&svcclass=dnserver

or, if that url is too long/mangled for you try:

http://www.dejanews.com/getdoc.xp?AN=394262110 (which is the first post in the thread)

at dejanews where it is archived. (make sure to read the whole thread, some of the posters were not 100% correct, you have to read the whole thing to get the correct picture)

Basically, a HOT BACKUP is a fuzzy or inconsistent backup. The datafiles are definitely *not* consistent and are not meant to be consistent. To do a hot backup you must be in ARCHIVE LOG MODE and it will take your HOT BACKUPS plus these archived redo log files to recover from. You will restore your 'fuzzy' or inconsistent backups made with the begin/end backup in place and then apply the archived redo log files to make them consistent with eachother.

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government
Herndon VA

Anti-Anti Spam Msg: if you want an answer emailed to you, you have to make it easy to get email to you. Any bounced email will be treated the same way i treat SPAM-- I delete it. Received on Wed Oct 21 1998 - 08:37:09 CDT