Re: Count(*) is very slow

From: <satar_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 23:19:24 GMT

My math skills might not be up to par, but I see a total SGA at 32MB. 3200 db blocks at 2k each + 25MB shared pool + log buffer. Anyway, somethings fishy if it takes 32 seconds to do a count(*). Is this done by SQLPLUS by any chance? I know there is a bug with version 8.0.3 and windows NT, where the count(*) returns the wrong value. Anyway, I'm rambling away... When you discover why it takes 32 seconds to do a Count(*), let the rest of us know.

Good Luck,
Satar

Oracle DBA/UNIX System Admin
Advanced Enterprise Solutions