Re: Choosing backup strategy on NT

From: <dmcclory_at_msn.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 20:05:54 GMT

I'm using Oracle 8.0.4 on NT, and I have a related question:

Is it safe to backup one of the datafiles to tape while it is in backup mode? The file still appears to be open, so our backup utility (Seagate Backup Exec) whines about the open status. If I make a backup of the file, will I be able to restore from it?

Also, I'm trying to set up command scripts and the like to allow for unattended hot backups on our NT machine, and I'm finding it frustrating. My primary difficulty is that I don't have enough drive space to make full, on disk copies of my datafiles, so I have to back them up straight to tape. This is forcing me to define a backup job for each tablespace. Anybody have a better way?

Finally, anybody out there using the new Seagate Backup Exec "Agent for Oracle Server" software? Any opinions of it's value?