Re: Porting a VLDB to a different platform (quickly)?

From: <doid_at_usa.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 15:35:54 GMT

Many thanks to those who have replied:) You've given me some food for thought, and I intend to explore the new ideas that you've offered.

doid

In article <908867999.21250.0.nnrp-02.c2de712e_at_news.demon.co.uk>,   "MotoX" <rat_at_tat.a-tat.com> wrote:
> Are you sure that would work (even for exactly the same Oracle release)
> between two *different platforms*? I have my doubts.

Wouldn't it be *so* nice if we could? :)

I strongly doubt that I can simply move the datafiles from the old platform to the new one. On the old server, we're running Oracle 7, on a 32-bit unix system. On the new server, we're running Oracle 8, using a 64-bit unix os. The Server Migration Manual says quite explicitly that you can't migrate between systems which use different architectures.

> I'm not quite so sure where you get 'at least 5 months' from?...

The current server is proving to be a bottleneck. You're right, we should replace it:) I haven't yet succeeded in unloading the data at a rate faster than 100Mb/hour. (So I took my best-case estimate, and doubled it :) ).

Because this is so slow, I'm considering the idea of using a "fast-unload" tool from a third-party vendor. Although this might help, I wonder what the downside might be...