Re: max extents....

From: <glester_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 11:12:56 GMT

In article <362C38B0.CEBB74BF_at_bph.krakow.pl>,   Sebastian Bienkiewicz <bienkiew_at_bph.krakow.pl> wrote:
> Each next db_block_size value doubles max extents parameter + few
> extents for a header
>
> Winnie Liu wrote:
> >
> > I remember that the max extents is tied directly to the DB_block_size of
> > your database.
> >
> > But I don't remember the value either. Can someone post it again?
> >
> > Winnie
> >
> > Tony Commander wrote in message <362B8D30.436671B0_at_enterprise.net>...
> > >I'm sure I've read somewhere that the limit to a number of extents in
> > >tables/indexes
> > >has been raised/removed in a recent version of oracle ( we're running
> > >7.3.4 on NT 4 )
> > >from the old limit of 249.
> > >
> > >Is this my imagination or did I really read this somewhere a while ago?
> > >

> --
> no signature

My understanding is that up until Oracle 7.3 the maxextents value is tied directly to the block size ie: 2K block is maxextents 121, 4k blocks is maxextents 249, however since version 7.3 it is possible to set maxextents to unlimited. Check in Oracle DBA handbook, by Kevin Loney, there is a little more detail there.