Re: Choosing backup strategy on NT

From: MMK Productions <nospammmkprod_at_bellatlantic.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 00:30:59 -0400

Carsten,

I do not know about the "rumors", NT is a 1st tier port now so a lot of people are working on the release and I have confidence in Oracle on NT. If you go to Oracle8 I suggest you go right ot 8.0.5.

I recommend you go to semi weekly cold backups, weekly full exports, and keep two "rounds" of archived log files - that was if there was a problem with a cold backup file, you could go back one cycle in an emergency. Most of all - practice!

Which brings me to this - my concern is the ability to test the recovery. For example, how do you simulate a file loss? Try to DEL a file while the DB is open - you cannot. NT will not let you. In Unix I can log on as oracle8 and rm the file while the DB is open and wait for the errors to start.

>We are setting up an Oracle db on Win NT 4.0, size 6-8 Gb, 60 users, using
Oracle Workgroup Server 7.3 (optionally Oracle 8.0). ...
>We were originally thinking of using a hot backup on NT, but now we hear
>rumours that this is not working reliably. And also that the recovery
cannot
>be run unattended

>We have looked into other options, and are having a meeting with Oracle
tomorrow to investigate the different options together. (Hot backup, Cold backup, Export, Read-only snapshots to second server - backup from there, Standby database - ditto, Partitioning tables - a work-around in
>programming/usage, and so on). Is there anyone out there who has
experiences good or bad with hot backup
>under NT with a similarly sized db? Or who have made similar evaluations of
backup strategy on NT?