Re: Why Backup Temp and Rollback segs?

From: John P. Higgins <jh33378_at_deere.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 21:38:11 -0500

Be careful with redo log backups. I have seen DBA's that think they need
to restore the redo logs as well as the data file. This loses the valid
current redo log!

Jeremiah Wilton wrote:

On Mon, 19 Oct 1998, Chris Chesney wrote:

> What about online redo logs?  Not the stuff that's been archived, but the actual
> redo log members?  I've read articles warning against backing up the online redo
> logs, but have ran into complications when restoring the entire database to a new
> server.  We are using this process to refresh QA instances from production.  Do we
> need to back up the online redo logs with our cold backup script?

The online redologs are useful if you are taking a cold backup, so that
you won't have to re-initialize new ones upon open of the restored
database. They are required if you are taking a cold backup of a crashed
database, such as one that has been shutdown with the ABORT argument.

In hot backups, online redologs are not backed up.  When you finish
copying datafiles, and switch the last tablespace out of backup mode, you
issue an "alter system archive log current;" which will archive the
currently unarchived online redologs, giving you enough redo to completely
recover using that hot backup.

--
Jeremiah Wilton      http://www.wolfenet.com/~jeremiah