Re: How to push CPU to its fullest potential?

From: remove extra k's <clive_at_shimmer.demon.co.ukkkk>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 23:45:42 GMT

On Wed, 14 Oct 1998 00:09:52 GMT, robertch_at_mindspring.com (Robert Chung) wrote:

>We have Oracle database running in parallel mode on AIX UNIX box with
>four CPUs. We run a batch job (written in PL/SQL) that takes more
>than four hours everyday, and to my surprise, I found out that CPUs of
>this AIX UNIX box almost always sit idle at least more than 60% of the
>time while this big batch job is running. Why is this happening? Is
>this because hard disks are the big bottle-neck? (but we do have macho
>RAID devices hooked up to this server)
>
>I was assuming Oracle automatically distributes this one big batch job
>to different processes in different CPUs. Is this false? If so, what
>should I do to force distribution of processes in different CPUs?
>Thank you in advance.
>
>Robert

You may wish to look at Parallel Query Option. Your batch job is currently constrained to a single thread requesting and writing data. The PQO will soak up spare CPU amd disk bandwidth to get thru the batch job more quickly.

Regards,

Clive.
--
Clive Bostock Received on Mon Oct 19 1998 - 18:45:42 CDT