Porting a VLDB to a different platform (quickly)?

From: <doid_at_usa.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 20:30:44 GMT

Fellow users,

I'm looking into moving a ~200Gb Oracle instance onto a hot new platform. The new machine comes from a different manufacturer than the old one, and uses a much different architecture.

Exports run very slowly on the old server. Based on tests that I've done, I expect that the Export/Import route would take at least 5 months.

My manager doesn't seem willing to accept that kind of timeframe:(

Can somebody here draw upon his/her experience and suggest an alternative strategy? I hope to shorten the timeline significantly, if possible.

For example, I'm beginning to consider 3rd-party backup/recovery tools. Does anyone here have experience using such products to move from one platform to another?

I look forward to seeing any suggestions you may have.

doid