Re: Late Shutdown

From: Thomas Pall <tpall_at_bga.com>
Date: 19 Oct 98 20:08:57 GMT

From the Concepts Manual:

IMMEDIATE Does not wait for current calls to complete, prohibits further connects, and closes and dismounts the database. Finally, shuts down the instance. Does not wait for connected users to disconnect. Does not require instance recovery on next startup.

In other words, shutdown immediate cancels transactions, rolls them back and checkpoints (writes out dirty cached blocks, updates the SCNs in the file headers.

Should not take long, should it?

If you have very large transactions it may take a long time to roll them back and if CLPT (checkpoint writer) has a lot of dirty buffers to write out, this can take some time.

That said, I too have seen what looks like Oracle on NT hanging during shutdown immediate. Sometimes if NT itself is busy, you see in the Event Log that shutdown has been signaled but the database does not seem to be shutting down.

Though Oracle _does not_ recommend it, you might want to do a shutdown abort. You can do this by logging into svrmgr again and issuing a shutdown abort.

You can also go into the control panel and stop the OracleService<SID>, use Oradim to stop the Oracle Services or issue the command line net stop OracleService<SID> /y.

When you abort Oracle, the database requires instance recovery. It is best to restart Oracle (by restarting the services and issuing a startup in svrmgr or using the control panel or oradim). Oracle will go into the online redo logs and fix everything up. Issue a normal shutdown after that and everything should be OK.

sbenyo_at_ibm.net wrote:
: I have a 7.3.3 database running over NT.
: When I issue the command:
: svrmgr> shutdown immediate

: The database seems to start getting down but It doesn't complete the
: shutdown properly.
: After some time (even hours) the database finally shuts down.
: (If I issue a startup command before it completes I get: oralce is
: alreay started!)

: I have 3 oracle jobs running in the database in very short intervals and
: that seems to be connected somehow....

: If anyone knows anything why shutting down the database takes so long or
: a way to shut it properly,
: I will be more than glad to know!

: 10X
: Shaul