Re: db_block_size and performance

From: Thomas Pall <tpall_at_bga.com>
Date: 19 Oct 98 18:51:29 GMT

Let's reason this out:

If you have an OLTP which selecting, updating, inserting individual records, the smaller block size of 2048 is adequate and probably the fastest.

Why read in 40 records when you only need one?

If you have a DSS, which is doing full table scans, the more records you read in with each get the better: the next records will already be in cache.

There is no hard and fast rule about how big a db_block_size to use. It depends on your application.

Peter Shankey (shankeyp_at_charlestoncounty.org) wrote:
: I read that changing the db_block_size could see a increase in speed of
: up to 40%. What are your experinces with changing the db_block_size? I
: realize I will have to re-create the WHOLE db and I am wondering if it
: is really worth the effort. My db_block_size it set to the default of
: 2048. The db is running on solaris 2.5.1