clonefs Unix utility

From: Kelly Young <young_at_maricopa.edu>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 09:41:04 -0700

We are running Oracle 7.3.4 on a DEC alpha. We are planning to use the clonefs Unix utility in our backup. Basically, this will allow us to perform cold backups while Oracle is up (except for about 10 minutes). The way it works is:

  1. Shutdown Oracle
  2. Run clonefs to take a "snapshot" of the file systems (takes about 10 minutes).
  3. Restart Oracle
  4. Run vdump (which backs up the files at the point in time that the snapshot was taken).

We have tested recovery and everything seems to work ok. Is anyone using this approach? Any unknown gotchas or pitfalls? --
Kelly Young
Database Administrator
Maricopa Community Colleges
young_at_maricopa.edu Received on Mon Oct 19 1998 - 11:41:04 CDT