Re: Visual Basic and Oracle

From: Wayne Larimore <dwljr_at_ionet.net>
Date: 19 Oct 1998 14:25:01 GMT

Chris & Suzette,

First, you need to make sure that the user logging in to the Oracle database has EXECUTE rights to run the procedure created in Oracle. Also, make sure the user has necessary rights to accomplish what is being done in the procedure. I use roles to simplify this process. I assign the role(s) to the user upon initial set up of the user. The default role I make for every user is a SELECT only one. I then 'set role to <whatever_role> identified by <password>' depending upon the process. This particular role will have the necessary rights such as INSERT, DELETE, etc on the Tables needed. The coding to call a procedure is as follows:

  <declare necessary variables first>

        sSql = _
            "BEGIN SCHEMA.ADD_PROC('value1','value2'); END;"

        cnLBX.Execute sSql, dbExecDirect