Re: How to change ORACLE_SID?

From: Tommy <tcusan_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 10:17:20 -0700

Hi,
I also have a bulletin. This bulletin provides the necessary steps to change the SID of an
instance in Oracle for NetWare v7.2 and later. This bulletin concerns changing only the SID for the database, not the internal database name.

  1. Shutdown the database whose SID is to be changed.
  2. Verify that the CONFIG.ORA has the default setting of NW_ENABLE_SID_SUPPORT=TRUE. The default location for the CONFIG.ORA is:

       <oracle_home>\NLM.

   Note: Changes to the CONFIG.ORA will not take effect until all    instances are shut down. Execute ORAUNLD to unload the Oracle    NLMs, and then execute ORALOAD to load the Oracle NLMs.

3. Rename/Copy the old password file to a new password file. A

   new password file can also be created. The default location for password files is:

       <oracle_home>\DATABASE\PWD<new_sid>.ORA

4. Rename/Copy the parameter file to INIT<new_sid>.ORA. The

   default location for the parameter file is:

       <oracle_home>\DATABASE\INIT<new_sid>.ORA

5. Add the new SID to the LISTENER.ORA file. The old SID may

   also be removed, if desired.

6. Create an IPC connect string for the new SID.

7. Startup the database using the new SID.

   On 7.2:

       LOAD SQLDBA
       SET INSTANCE <ipc_connect_string>
       CONNECT INTERNAL/<password>
       STARTUP PFILE=<oracle_home>\DATABASE\INIT<sid>.ORA

   On 7.3:
       LOAD SVRMGR
       SET INSTANCE <ipc_connect_string>
       CONNECT INTERNAL/<password>
       STARTUP PFILE=<oracle_home>\DATABASE\INIT<sid>.ORA

   On 8.0:
       LOAD SVRMGR30
       SET INSTANCE <ipc_connect_string>
       CONNECT INTERNAL/<password>
       STARTUP PFILE=<oracle_home>\DATABASE\INIT<sid>.ORA

8. Verify that the new instance is being used.

   From within the appropriate DBA tool (SQLDBA, SVRMGR or    SVRMGR30), issue the following query after starting up the    instance:

       SELECT INSTANCE FROM V$THREAD;
            This query will show which instance is currently
            connected.

   Toggle out to the server's console prompt and issue the    following command:

       DISPLAY ORACLE STATUS
            This command will display the version of the Oracle
            NLM's loaded.  In the center of the display will be a
            section labeled "Running Sids" which will show all of
            the instances started.

FINAL NOTES

Oracle does not care what naming convention is used for the datafiles and redo logs, however, it is common to have the names of the datafiles and redo logs contain the SID as part of the filename. This makes it easy to identify which files belong to a specific SID.