Re: Best database for web backend on Linux?

From: Thornton Prime <thornton_at_yoyoweb.com>
Date: 1998/10/17

Anthony Mandic wrote:

> Thornton Prime wrote:
>
> > There are persistent rumblings that IBM will release DB2 for Linux first
> > quarter next year.
>
> Now I've heard everything! How long before MS announce a version of
> MS SQL Server for Linux?

Here is a good link of a sample rumbling ... http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/1998/09/22/BU52203.DTL

This "announcement" never came to pass, but in recent months IBM officials have been hinting, IBM developers have been bragging that they ported 90% of DB2 in under a day, and IBM sales folks have been whispering into the ears of Linux-based ISPs.

Still, rumblings, but the rumors are getting more and more like a pre-announcement, so keep your eyes open.

As for MS SQL ... until MS SQL 7.0 compes out, MS SQL offers very little more than Sybase 4.2 ... and Sybase 11.0.3 is available for Linux. If you are a MS SQL lover, you will probably find Sybase a nice transition.

thornton Received on Sat Oct 17 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT