Re: Best database for web backend on Linux?

From: Thornton Prime <thornton_at_yoyoweb.com>
Date: 1998/10/16

David Sisk wrote:

> ORACLE is a good choice. There are many apps that use ORACLE as the
> back-end. ORACLE has very good performance, lot's of tweaking ability,
> lot's of flexibility in configuration, etc., and you can certainly build a
> career off of ORACLE knowledge. The quality of the products leave a bit to
> be desired in many cases, though.
>
> I'm not extremely familiar with later versions of Sybase, but before
> choosing Sybase over ORACLE, I would suggest that you consider Informix.
> Companies that use Informix tend to swear by it, and wouldn't consider any
> other database engine. Informix has had features for years that are only
> starting to show up in ORACLE8.0 and ORACLE8.1, and features that Sybase,
> DB2, etc., will probably never have. However, there aren't a lot of
> packaged applications that are targeted for Informix as the back-end.

Alas, the version of Informix available for Linux is currently Informix SE, which suffers serious limitations when compared to Informix Dynamic Server (their flagship DB), Oracle, or Sybase.

There are persistent rumblings that IBM will release DB2 for Linux first quarter next year. If you can wait that long to make a decision, DB2 is probably worth a look. Maybe by then Informix will have Dynamic Server available, Oracle will have their Oracle-optimized Linux distribution, and Sybase for Linux will come into sync with the other Sybase Unix offerings.

thornton Received on Fri Oct 16 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT